It’s Tibb’s Eve!
Welcome Lovelies! It’s Tibb’s Eve!
And, I am like a Whirling Dervish putting the finishing touches on my decorating (indoors AND out), still shopping, wrapping, delivering and baking! Yes, I have ambitious plans, indeed. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that I will be able to check it all off my list before the light of dawn. Am I dreaming?! I have never before been this late doing Christmas! A dream vacay to New York City during the first of the month, and having been down with flu for this entire week, has really put me behind in all things Christmas at our home this year.
As far as I know, Tibb’s Eve, the 23rd of December, originated on the south coast of Newfoundland some fifty plus moons ago. In some island communities, it is also known as Tipp’s Eve, or Tipsy Eve. So, now, I think you might know where this is going…Once upon a time, it was thought to be acceptable to have the first few festive ‘tipples’ (translation: alcoholic drinks) before Christmas on Tibb’s Eve, a time reserved for visiting neighbours and friends, dropping off gifts and having a few swallies (translation: ales) while making the rounds from house to house throughout the outport (translation: village).
In keeping with tradition, I invite you to join me in a nook in my kitchen for a festive cuppa, perhaps a steaming spiced toddy to warm you. Perfect for a damp, cold night like this. It has been raining all day and much of our snow has disappeared, so it could very well be a green Christmas after all. I, however, will stick to my holiday tea as I will need my total wits about me to complete all that is on my To-Do list tonight…
And, since this will be my last post before Christmas, I want to wish you all, dear friends, a joyous time filled to the brim with cozy memories and to thank you for visiting me. (Oh, darn, I forgot to remove the price sticker from the bottom of that candle before I wrapped it) Sigh. It’s going to be a lonnng night….Lol
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
A Christmas candle is a lovely thing;It makes no noise at all,But softly gives itself away.~Eva Logue
Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won’t make it ‘white’.
May you have the gladness of Christmas which is hope;The spirit of Christmas which is peace;The heart of Christmas which is love.~Ada V. Hendricks
There are no strangers on Christmas Eve. ~Mildred Cram and Adele Comandini
Christmas… is not an external event at all, but a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart. Freya Stark
Popular Post! “Reflections of a Romantic Christmas”
Popular Post! “Celebrating The Twelfth Day of Christmas”
Popular Post! “Gingerbread Dreams…”
Popular Post! “Christmas is coming!”
Today’s popular posts! Click the photo to take you there! Scroll down to ‘Beautiful Archives’ for more posts.
- A Merry Christmas Tea!
- A Cuppa Cozy: Cocoa-and-Cookie Station
- “Room to Bloom!” Guest Blogger at “Living Large in Small Spaces”
- Kitchen Leftovers That Sparkle!
- Be My Valentine!
- Reflections of A Romantic Christmas
- Celebrating the Twelfth Day of Christmas!
- Merry, Merry Christmas!
- Gingerbread Dreams
- Christmas is coming!
- Something special in the air…
- Tea from Sea to Sea!
- Pink Trees and Cherry Tea!
- The Elegant Empress
- Best Wishes for “The Sparkling Hour”!
- A Christmas Wish
- Christmas at the End of the Hall
- Beautiful Christmas Green!
- The Festive Table
- A Garden Award!
- I’ve Missed You!
- Romantic Easter
- Easter Blessings!
- Majestic Hatley Park
- Life Can Be A Walk in the Park!
- The First Snow of A New Year!
- The Snow Tree
- Snow White!
- It’s Tibb’s Eve!
- Window Shopping in the Big Apple!
- It’s Christmas, naturally!
- The Gift of Christmas! Sanselig Jul…
- Blah-Blah Bath Makeover
- Fill Your Socks at “The Little Christmas Fair!”
- Pink, Seriously…’Pink Days In Bloom’, Part II
- Pink Days in Bloom!
- A ROOM WITH A VIEW!
- THE TREASURES AND PLEASURES OF TEA…
- Random Acts of Kindness…
- ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas…
Popular Post! Pink Trees and Cherry Tea!
POPULAR POST: A Special Christmas Tea, Tour & More…
Beautiful Victorian Father Christmas!
Beautiful Holiday Door That Says, Welcome! Stay tuned for more Christmas as the weeks go by…Hope you enjoy the preview!
POPULAR POST: The Santa Lady of Farm Road
POPULAR POST: The Jolliest Man…
Beautiful Sweets and Treats of the Season…
Christmas Wreaths for the Cure!
Beautiful Christmas Faerie!
I’m thrilled you’re here. Please keep scrolling down the sidebar for the archives…
Beautiful Antique Teapot
“PINK DAYS IN BLOOM” – A Beautiful and unique FUNdRaiser for breast cancer research…Click here to know more!
Beautiful Garden Quote
Search for Something Beautiful on this site!
- A Merry Christmas Tea! 2015/12/26
- A Cuppa Cozy: Cocoa-and-Cookie Station 2015/11/15
- “Room to Bloom!” Guest Blogger at “Living Large in Small Spaces” 2015/03/14
- Kitchen Leftovers That Sparkle! 2015/02/21
- Be My Valentine! 2015/02/14
- Reflections of A Romantic Christmas 2015/01/08
- Celebrating the Twelfth Day of Christmas! 2015/01/05
- Merry, Merry Christmas! 2014/12/25
- Gingerbread Dreams 2014/12/23
- Christmas is coming! 2014/11/13
- Something special in the air… 2014/10/04
- Tea from Sea to Sea! 2014/09/05
- Pink Trees and Cherry Tea! 2014/05/10
- The Elegant Empress 2014/02/01
- Best Wishes for “The Sparkling Hour”! 2013/12/31
- A Christmas Wish 2013/12/25
- Christmas at the End of the Hall 2013/12/13
- Beautiful Christmas Green! 2013/12/03
- The Festive Table 2013/12/01
- A Garden Award! 2013/11/19
Experience A Beautiful Wedding! Click here for this popular post…
Beautiful Sarah Bernhardt Peonies!
Beautiful Wedding Cake! This frosted beauty was a surprise for friends at their wedding…
’Beautiful Ideas’ – Email me
Want to know more about anything you've seen at 'Beautiful Ideas'? Simply direct your cursor over the photo (Hint: Do not click on the photo). The email address will appear in the top left-hand corner, then click...